Who We Serve
Located in Jacksonville’s west beaches/intracoastal area, PLS Therapy & Learning Center provides exceptional education services for students with unique learning needs such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Learning Disabilities/Dyslexia, ADHD, or other behavioral or emotional needs.
Our team of highly qualified teachers design and deliver engaging, hands-on learning opportunities to reach each and every student in classrooms of up to 6-8 students. This small class size ensures a truly individualized learning experience for every student and maximizes progress and outcomes.
Students are grouped by age and ability.
- We use whole group, small group and individualized instruction for life skills, vocational skills, social skills and functional academics.
- Whole group activities are PE, Music, Social Skills and Art.
- Small groups consists of 4-6 students for either standards-based academics (reading, math) or functional skills (math/reading, technology/typing, hygeine, self care, home and community skills).
- Individual instruction focuses on independence and addresses an individual learning plan for each child. A certified teacher leads these groups and collects data on student progress, while a BCBA oversees the behavioral aspects of learning in this setting including the skills needed for communication and group work.
- Project Pathlight is a 10-week program in spring and fall which includes participation in whole group, small group and individual instruction PLUS skills for work study and advanced life, vocational, home, and community skills for transitioning to adulthood. Students in this program engage in three community-based instructional opportunities each week using the PLS van for transportation. Two days a week we visit a job site for vocational training. We alternate a life skills (grocery, department, or drugstore) and a leisure (park, movies, beach, bowling etc) community outing each week as well.
Enrollment is limited to individuals receiving ABA therapy at PLS.
Our Learning Plans
Our Learning Plans are Designed with Curriculum from
• Unique Learning System/News2You
• Handwriting/Keyboarding Without Tears
• Social Thinking and Me
• Social Detective
• Think Social!
Our school uses evidence-based instructional practices based on the science and research from applied behavior analysis (ABA). Direct Instruction, motivational theories and practices, Personalized System of Instruction (PSI), Positive Behavior Support (PBS) and Precision Teaching are some of the methods rooted in ABA that teachers draw on.
• Rebecca Aleman, RN, Program Director